Your stall seems to be doing really well today?
Yeah we've had a constant stream of people.
Have you had many sales?
I've not done too bad, but I've not had as many as I'd of liked so far.
How long have you had your own business set up?
It's all relatively new, since I graduated this year from Uni.
Do you have your products on any other outlet?
Yes, I have an online store on folksy.com
Oh right, I've not heard of folksy.com, what is it?
It's the English version of Esty.com, a networking shop outlet. It's really good for showing you how many sales you've made, how many people are following your shops and it also has on the website a 'making' section so you can learn new crafts and a forum, so you can get involved in daily chats and discussions which has been really good for me building contacts.
Do you have to be computer literate to use it?
No it's really easy to use, with a step by step guide on how to set up your own shop with the paying system included. It's really straight forward.
How does the paying system work?
The paying system is Paypal and it runs along side the site. The buyer has a shopping cart and when they come to buy it is through Paypal.
Do you use this business solely as your income now or do you have another job?
Right now it is not possible as the business is new, but I would like it to take off so it is just my sole income.
Like you I would like to set up my own business but in Stationary, do you have any advice on setting up your own business?
My advice would be publisise your product as much as possible, promotions is really good. If you're going to go down the online route it is important to attend as many art & craft fairs as possible because as well as building contacts you are showing your products to the public and generating awareness.
You can find Emily Wardmans shop on www.folksy.com/edify. Looking at her shop I have noticed she has had only 1 sale, which suggests to me the craft fair was probably more successful. Looking at the site you can tell it's a really competitive market of similar products. There seems to be a lot of 'cutesy' designs that include cupcakes, birds and Russian Dolls. On a site of this scale having a similar theme of work through out it you can see why it might be hard for your product to sell when there are too many of the same styles on it.
The forum and 'making' session of the site though would be very useful for building contacts and learning new skills.
With my theme of work I can't see where I would fit in but it might be exciting to see if it develops new trends on the site, it might be what is needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment