Monday, 14 March 2011

Peoples History Museum



On Tues 8th March I visited the Peoples History Museum in Spinningfields, Manchester.

I had heard about their exhibition 'Banners' which showed over 400 banners in the collection including the world's oldest trade union banners, made by the Liverpool Tinplate Workers of 1821 and exhibited the history of political posters, through the fight of election by Labour and the Conservatives.


I went to this exhibition because I'm interested in the Graphics in these posters, the colours and illustration of the posters make them iconic, as the illustrations are bold. Each poster was designed to be bold and to the point, this is why the detailing is left minimal and the colours are bold but plain.

There were also a set up that showed how a 1940s shop would of appeared back then and I found great visuals in the vintage food brands and packaging.


It was through my visit at The Peoples History Museum that I noticed their card ranges, which focus was on iconic imagery. I asked at the desk how I would go about getting my own card range in the museum as I have a range I feel it suitable for the museum and they put me in contact with Janeka, the Merchendiser for the museums store and I have booked a portfolio viewing with her for April 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment