Saturday, 8 January 2011

Portfolio Visit with Dodo (Affleck Palace)

I had a portfolio visit with Lynn owner of Dodo in Affleck Palace. She has been selling Japanese anime inspired gifts and trinkets on the top floor of Afflecks for 6 months and she had some interesting and helpful advice.

She gave feedback on my portfolio saying it definitely had a place in the market and suggested I take my cards to Thunder Egg who predominately sell cards. I found it interesting she would mention them as they have been one of my focuses but I was unable to re-book a portfolio visit with them due to December being a busy month for them. She found them humorous and liked the Disney cards and Playing Card cards the most saying they were the strongest designs.

Lynn told me she only sells her own work in her shop but the space is small already and work of other designers takes up space and she doesn't make a bigger profit return than if she were to sell her own work, which made sense. She said although she thought buying in Afflecks Palace would be ideal for what she sells, she said she has been struggling to make money as the top floor is very quiet due to a recent refurbishment but that the middle floor of Afflecks always sells well as stores like Thunder Egg and Cafe Pop which also have outlets on Oldham Road are situated there and have had a long established network.
She added though that most stores in Afflecks would work commission based around January as it is a quiet month.

I found Lynns feedback really helpful on a more marketable side and helped me to piece together thoughts for future marketing strategies. I find it really interesting to hear the shops around establish outlets such as Thunder Egg and Cafe Pop do well, and it is something to consider for promotion purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment